Staff development in an integral part of the Division of Student Affairs. We invest in the learning and development of our staff members so that they may invest their best selves in the learning and development of UNC Charlotte students.
All staff have the opportunity to participate in one or more division wide committee. A brief description of each committee is below. For more information and learn how to get involved, contact Karen Shaffer email@example.com, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
This committee provides educational opportunities for staff to learn more about issues impacting higher education and our work at UNC Charlotte. Topics are grounded in the ACPA/NASPA Professional Competencies based on survey feedback from staff. There is also an annual Charlotte Area Student Affairs Symposium that brings staff from nearby campuses for a daylong conference.
All new employees participate in an orientation to the division, in addition to UNC Charlotte new employee orientation, which includes culture, mission, vision, goals and getting to know other newcomers. There is also an expectation for ongoing onboarding during the first year of employment including diversity training and suicide prevention training. You can view the video that describes some of departments in the division and why people choose to work at UNC Charlotte.
At the end of the year division meeting, we recognize the good work our colleagues have done by presenting the following awards:
- New Professional
- Continuing Excellence
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Friend of Student Affairs
- Above and Beyond
2017-2018 Award Winners
- Rising Star - Alan Hinton, Housing and Residence Life (HRL) & Jordan Holliday-Millard, New Student and Family Services (NSFS)
- Most Valuable - Mason Reuter, Housing and Residence Life (HRL)
- Outstanding Team - New Student and Family Services (NSFS)
- Above and Beyond - Matt Rutkowski, Housing and Residence Life (HRL)
- Hall of Fame Award (10+ Years of Service) - Jim Hoppa, Student Union, Activities and Recreation (SUAR)
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion Award - Rachael Forester, Multicultural Resource Center (MRC)
- Friend of Student Affairs Award - Patrick Madsen, University Career Center
We like to mix play with our work! Social opportunities include happy hours, events in the city and the end of the year division meeting, social and awards ceremony.
This committee provides mandatory training for all full-time staff and serves as a resource to ensure we are culturally competent and are able to serve all students.